False ceiling is provided below the roof slab on suspended supports. The false celling is usually provided for temperature control (heat insulation for AC), to install lights, or to conceal electrical and other networking cables and ugly or too high ceiling. False ceiling is an example of modern construction and architecture in both residential and commercial applications.
Components or Parts of False Ceiling:
The following figure shows the various components of a false ceiling:
Types of False Ceiling:
False ceilings can be differentiated into many types based on their uses, material used and appearance and visibility.
1. Gypsum False Ceiling:
Gypsum false ceiling is a hydrated sulfate of calcium. This type of false ceiling are lightweight, sound insulated, fire resistance, soft and thermally insulated.
Gypsum false ceiling comes in the shape of square boards that are hung with the help of iron framework. The finishing work on these boards like paints, laminates, wallpapers and texture finish gives good look.
2. Plaster of Paris Ceiling:
Plaster of Paris (POP) is the majorly used material in the construction of false ceiling. POP is obtained when gypsum is heated to a certain degree. It gives the both aesthetical and functional help.
Plaster of Paris false ceiling are attractive, almost no maintenance and has a long life span. They are very excellent insulators of heat and cold.
These types of false ceiling don’t only hide the ugly members of structure, ventilation ducts and conduits but also give smooth finish to the ceiling.
3. Fiber False Ceiling:
Fiber false ceiling are in high demand for the construction of false ceiling due to low cost and east installation. The material used to manufacture fiber ceiling panels are man made by synthetic and natural minerals. As these are man-made they come in many shapes and sizes.
6. Metal Ceiling:
As metal is a hard and durable material, it is used extensively in the false ceiling. When the metal surface is polished it gives a shiny surface which is a treat for eyes.
The metals used in this are galvanized iron and aluminum. The cost of this ceiling are low as they are easy to install and access. The hidden members of the structure are easily accessed as the panels are easily removable and reattached. The construction cost becomes less as the installation, fixing and maintained is low.
Advantages of False Ceiling:
• It provides a smooth homogeneous surface to the roof.
• It provides fire protection as it creates compartmentation.
• False ceiling helps in acoustical treatment.
• It conceals all the non-pleasing elements and hides it from the viewer’s eyes.
• It also hides the pipelines and the electrical cables running in the room. All the ducts of air-conditioning can be hidden under it.
• False ceiling materials are easy to install and cheap as compared to traditional roof systems.
Disadvantages of False Ceiling:
• The most worrying aspect of having a false ceiling would be pests. They can get through into the space between and can start their own breeding which might lead to a lot of trouble.
• Also be careful while putting up decorations or hangings while you have a false ceiling in place. Make sure you know the strength and durability, do’s and don’ts with regard to your ceiling.
• Lastly, the false ceiling would reduce the height of the ceiling considerably and hence do not install false ceiling unless you have a decent ceiling height.